I am from Oakland, born and raised, educated in our school system. I am aware firsthand of the issues the school district faces today. OUSD can be better, not for a few, but for ALL families in Oakland. OUSD must be a parents' first choice school system no matter their income levels.
As a School Board Director, I will propose:
- Defund the OUSD Police Force and Reinvest on School Site Counselors and Mental Health Services
- Invest in Digital Infrastructure for students to access online learning
- Contingency Plan and Use of School Sites for Smaller Teacher:Student Ratio amid COVID-19
- Policies to increase student enrollment
- Investing in student preparation for employment in regional industries
- Expanding apprenticeships, curriculum development, and job opportunities for students
- Restructuring the Superintendent's Office for accountability, transparency, and best practices
- Improving communication with community groups and schools sites
- Establishing an independent citizen oversight committee for Transparency, Accountability and Ethics
- Increasing support for extracurricular activities at school sites
- Investing in Health and Special Education centers in Districts
- Establishing a District office for revenue generation for program sustainability
As your board member, I will hold community town hall meetings to hear your concerns and engage in inclusive decision making for solutions.
My name is Victor Valerio and I am running to serve you as your School Board Director for District 7!